Thursday, July 1, 2010

Where in the world is Outlaw Mama??

I know it has been a long time since I updated, and I apologize! Things have been crazy around here, and lots of major milestones have happened - not the least of which is our pregnancy!

In late February we were elated to discover that we were expecting again. We planned to get pregnant, and were blessed that it happened (much to our shock) the very first month.

When I broke the news to the kids, I asked if they thought it was a brother or a sister. McCayla wanted a sister. Canon said it was twins.. twin boys to be exact. Three year olds can be so funny!

A few weeks later, I made a late night trip to the emergency room for some severe cramping and minor spotting. An ultrasound revealed the source of the spotting: a small subchorionic hemorrhage (SCH) that was not a serious threat to me or our baby as it was no longer actively bleeding, and was more of a clot at this point.

However, it also revealed something else. Another baby.
Yes. That is what I said. Another baby. Twins. Fraternal twins.
I had about a split second to be shocked. Another split second to be overjoyed. And then an instant later, everything changed again.
They told me that the SCH was right where Baby B was attached to the uterus. There was a chance that the hemorrhage would reabsorb itself and cause no issues. It was also possible that it could bleed out slowly, which would also rectify the situation without too much concern. Most likely though, it would just stick around "as is" for a while.. which in and of itself is no problem. The problem was that it was in the way. It was right where Baby B needed to hang on for dear life.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened. Baby B was not able to get a good enough grip when laying down the groundwork for his/her placenta and could not get properly attached. We ended up losing Baby B, which saddens us deeply. The only thing that makes it a little easier on us is that we had a heads up and knew that it was likely. I am grateful that we were not caught off guard with a sudden and unexpected loss.

We are thrilled to announce though, that Baby A is a very healthy little BOY and is due around Halloween 2010, give or take a week or so either way. :) We are excited and trying to finish preparing for his arrival.
I have all of my cloth diapers and accessories ready, most of the clothes that I will need, and I am working on collecting the last few things!
Nikolas (Niko) currently doesn't have a middle name, though I think we are close! LOL As soon as we know more, I will let you know! And I will do my best to keep this updated better this year.. (blush)

Thanks for sticking around even though I haven't posted anything in eons.. I have LOTS to talk about this year so expect more updates!!
:)

No comments: